Tuesday, November 16, 2010

When Life Gives You Apples on Sale......

make applesauce!!!


If you've never made applesauce, it is so easy. I used about 10 pounds of gala apples (you want a sweet apple so you don't have to add any sugar). Just peel, core and roughly chop them. Put them in a big sauce pot over low heat (2 or 3) and add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water so they don't burn at the start. I also added a good sprinkling of cinnamon. Place the lid on the pot and stir every so often until they mash easily with a fork (maybe around an hour). Strain out the juice (save it for some super yummy apple cider) and mash it with a potato masher, food processor, fork, etc. I blended my with my handy-dandy stick blender since I wanted the babies to be able to enjoy it as well. I made three different flavors: plain, strawberry and blueberry. For the blueberry I added some of the cooked down blueberries that I had left over from the yogurt. For the strawberry I used about 1/2 cup of frozen sliced strawberries. Just add the fruit to the applesauce while it is still hot and blend away (be careful not to splash hot sauce on yourself). The 10 pounds of apples made about 3 quarts of sauce. I stuck one in the freezer for later. I may make more to freeze so we can enjoy it all winter long.

No comments:

Post a Comment