Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This Dress

I've been working on some new dresses for C this past week or so. The last round of dresses were all size 2T (I made them big just in case it took me awhile to finish them). This new round is 12-18 months so she'll be able to wear them now through summer. This was the first:
Sorry for the terrible photo, it was a rare sunny day here
I took a basic jumper pattern, cut the bodice out and then added two gathered layers. The fabric is Alexander Henry's Larkspur. I had bought 3 half yards of each of these fabrics and it took a little brain work to get the right length for each gather. I may go back and rip the middle layer and make it shorter, who knows, I may just leave it. I also learned that when doing a gather, it's best to zig-zag (or serge if you are lucky enough to have a serger-not me) the edge before starting to gather the edge. If you look closely at the photo, you can see little threads sticking out from where it frayed as I pulled the fabric along. It still turned out pretty cute though.
I used the scraps from that dress, along with some Kona solid pink, to make this dress:
Zig-zagged raw edge BEFORE gathering= no fraying. I appliqued some of the flowers on for a cute accent. I love this dress and as much as I love it, I am going to be listing it in my Etsy shop as soon I get snaps put on. (FYI- size 12-18 months).
More dresses to come!





1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see C in her new dresses. She will be the cutest dressed little girl in town.

    ReplyDelete