Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Quinoa, a Recipe

I heard many good things about quinoa and I've passed by lovely green bags of it at Costco, so one day I decided to see what all the hype was about. And I am so glad that I did! If you haven't tried it, I highly, highly recommend it. So tasty and nutty and so very healthy, especially if you are a vegan. Here are some facts for you right off the package (truRoots Organic Quinoa): 1 serving has only 3 g of fat (0 trans fat), no cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 31g carbs (it is a grain, folks, but only 3 g of sugar) and 6 wonderful grams of protein. Oh it also has 12% of daily iron. It's gluten free as well! Since directions on the back made it a little dry for me and since I LOVE to experiment with food, I came up with my own recipe. My husband and I think it is one of best yet!

Roasted Tomatoes and Mixed Veggies Quinoa

In a medium sauce pan add 1 cup dried quinoa, 3 cups of water, 1 can roasted diced tomatoes (you could use regular diced tomatoes, but I like the extra flavor it adds), 1 veggie bouillon cube, 1 tablespoon dried onions, 1 teaspoon dried garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 cup frozen mixed veggies. Bring to a boil then simmer on medium for 20 minutes. Next cover and let sit for 5 minutes. If you are vegan, dive right in; if you aren't, you could top yours with parm cheese and then dive in. Either way it is yummy, yummy, yummy!


1 comment:

  1. Haven't I told you about Quinoa before? Yes, it is so yummy. It makes a delicious morning hot cereal as well. Serve it like oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete